DIPARTIMENTO DI INGEGNERIA CIVILE E ARCHITETTURA
Corso di studio
CIVIL ENGINEERING FOR MITIGATION OF RISK FROM NATURAL HAZARDS
Hydrogeological risk assessment and mitigation
Primo Semestre (23/09/2019 - 16/10/2019)
51 ore di attività frontale
SCRITTO E ORALE CONGIUNTI
Basic knowledge of hydraulics or fluid mechanics is required. A knowledge of the main concepts of sediment transport mechanics, slope stability, hydrological processess and groundwater flow is warmly suggested.
This course describes, analyses and compares the main practical solutions for flood risk mitigation, e.g., levees, detention basins, floodways, tools for river bank protection and for control of local scour, devices for river training, and special design techniques to be applied to buildings in flood prone areas.
Design techniques and selection criteria of risk mitigation measures are discussed throughout this course.
Programma e contenuti
1. Geomorphic assessment of natural streams - field investigation, channel stability assessment, computational design methods.
2. River protection - Stream bank erosion, river training and stabilization, flow control structures.
3. Bank protection and stabilization - General principles, Riprap design and placement, bioengineering countermeasures and erosion control.
4. Scour protection at bridges and other structures - design of scour control devices for bridge piers, bridge abutments and other structures.
5. Levees - physical processes and tools for levee assessment and design.
6. Structural measures for reducing flood risk to buildings.
lectures with slides and multimedia. Numerical exercises with discussions on typical case studies, also using numerical tools.
Testi di riferimento
Course notes will be provided during the course.
Modalità verifica apprendimento
Written test on case studies, followed by oral discussion.
Obiettivi Agenda 2030 per lo sviluppo sostenibile