SECS-P/03 (SCIENZA DELLE FINANZE)
DIPARTIMENTO DI SCIENZE ECONOMICHE E AZIENDALI
Corso di studio
ECONOMICS, FINANCE AND INTERNATIONAL INTEGRATION - ECONOMIA, FINANZA E INTEGRAZIONE INTERNAZIONALE
Industrial Organization and Market Regulation
Secondo Semestre (18/02/2019 - 18/05/2019)
44 ore di attività frontale
Students will need a firm understanding of microeconomic theory and regression analysis in order to follow the lecture materials in this class.
Health economics applies the tools of economics to issues of the organization, delivery, and financing of health care. The objectives of this course are to: develop an understanding of the relevance of economic concepts to the health and health care sector and to impart an understanding of the role of economic factors in the development of public policy concerning health and health care.
Programma e contenuti
1. Production of Health;
2. The Production, Cost, and Technology of Health Care;
3. Demand for Health Capital;
4. Demand and Supply of Health Insurance;
5. Asymmetric Information and Agency and Health Insurance Markets;
6. Key Players in the Health Care Sector: Long-Term Care, The Physician’s Practice, The Pharmaceutical Industry;
7. Government Intervention in Health Care Markets;
8. Comparative Health Care Systems.
Testi di riferimento
The course will be focused around readings of academic articles that highlight important topics in health economics and powerpoint lecture notes, available for download from the Kiro platform. If students want to have a textbook to assist them with the readings and the lecture notes, I recommend Sherman Folland, Allen C. Goodman, Miron Stano, The Economics of Health and Health Care, Seventh Edition, Prentice Hall.
Modalità verifica apprendimento
There will be a final exam testing students knowledge of the required reading, materials from lectures, and key results of the published papers that were presented in class.