SECS-P/02 (POLITICA ECONOMICA)
DIPARTIMENTO DI SCIENZE ECONOMICHE E AZIENDALI
Corso di studio
ECONOMICS, FINANCE AND INTERNATIONAL INTEGRATION - ECONOMIA, FINANZA E INTEGRAZIONE INTERNAZIONALE
Primo Semestre (24/09/2018 - 21/12/2018)
44 ore di attività frontale
The course has no formal pre-requisites. A familiarity with basic statistical, macroeconomic and microeconomic concepts is very useful
The course offers a basic introduction to quantitative methods commonly used in policy analysis. It introduces students to the solution of policy development problems with analytical techniques and practical tools appropriate to professional work. Students also learn the ways in which conclusions may be drawn from such analyses. Appropriate software such as GAMS, STATA and Excel are used
Programma e contenuti
1. Introduction to Quantitative Policy Analysis (QPA)
- Objective and steps of QPA; - Component of a model; - base run; Types of models.
2. Using GAMS for QPA
- Introduction to GAMS; - Modeling demand; - Modeling supply; - Equilibrium for non-tradable goods; - International trade; - Regional trade; - Income and welfare effect; - Examples.
3. Social Accounting Matrices (SAM) and Multiplier Analysis
- Composition of a SAM; - Analysis of a SAM; - Economic linkages and multiplier effects; - Unconstrained and constrained SAM multiplier analysis; - Examples.
4. Computable General Equilibrium (CGE) models
- Model definition; - Model closure; - Model solution; - Simulations; - Examples.
5. Global Trade Analysis for QPA
- Model definition; - Closure of the model; - Model solution; - Simulations; - Examples.
6. Datasets - Presentation of the main datasets available on-line
The course is organized into frontal lessons and practice. This latter is based on empirical applications; students work through with the statistical packages GAMS, Excel and STATA
Testi di riferimento
A full reading list is available at the teacher's website
Modalità verifica apprendimento
In addition to the final written exam, during practice the teacher has the opportunity to verify the individual level of knowledge of student and fill possible gaps