DIPARTIMENTO DI INGEGNERIA INDUSTRIALE E DELL'INFORMAZIONE
Corso di studio
Double Master in Services Engineering A
Primo Semestre (02/10/2017 - 19/01/2018)
This course includes 2 modules, namely Design of Business Processes (BP) and Design of Service Systems (SS).
The first module addresses the design of Business Processes (BP). A BP is a sequence of activities through which an organization delivers a service to external or internal consumers. Internal consumers include the departments if the organization itself, e.g. Human Resource services supplied by HR department of an organization. External consumers include the customers of an organization e.g. the patients of a healthcare service. The performance of BPs largely determines the operational performance of an organization. Inefficient BPs put an organization out of the market and ineffective BPs drives customers away. The course aims at designing effective and efficient BPs which can be also sustainable.
The second module addresses the design of Service Systems (SS). SSs, based on Services Computing concept, rely on Big Data technologies and are typically deployed through mobile devices. SSs sit on the top of Internet and orchestrate diverse information (images, text, numerical data). SS can enable augmented services, also called “big services “, where a digital service augments a physical service. Uber is a good example of big service, where a physical service (the taxi ride) is enabled by a mobile App, which in turn cooperates with a taxi monitoring system, map services etc. A first key point is, then, the overall architecture of a SS, by identifying the service stakeholders, the related value propositions, and the elementary services to be orchestrated. A second point is the management of internet data, which come from sensors (IOT based systems) or social networks (crowd-sourced systems). Hence, SSs should check if such information is relevant and reliable, by a set of techniques that stem from deep learning and alike sciences.
The course focuses on requirements analysis. Hence, it addresses modeling/analysis techniques as UML, BPMN. A basic knowledge of organization theory is recommended.
This course provides concepts and techniques for modelling, assessing and designing Business Processes (BP) and Service Systems (SS). Also, in both modules, the course gives an overview of BPs in the enterprises and of some common SSs. At the end of the course, students will have a good command of the techniques for BP and SS analysis.
Programma e contenuti
Business Process Design (BP) (more information in the syllabus of the Design of Business Processes)
• Modelling Business Process (BP): techniques to describe BPs at different abstraction levels and from different perspectives.
• Mapping and assessing Business Processes (BP) in enterprises: modeling BPs of the whole enterprise.
• Business Process Design: a framework for sustainable BPs.
• Design of BP projects: a reference framework
Design of Service Systems (more information in the syllabus of the Design of Service Systems)
• Foundations on Services Systems (SS) The layered architecture of SS- Information sources: feeds, sensor data, public data, database, geographic data. The SS design roadmap
• Services for personal mobility and indoor and outdoor navigation. Design of traveler supporting systems.
• Crowd sourced and recommendation systems. The issue of trustworthy information. City feed case study. Foundation of data science. Social Networks and data analysis
Most topics will be taught through a complete learning cycle that will be based on the sequence
• Lecture on foundations (stimulus) which is aimed at explaining “What it is”
• Case study / Exercise (reinforcement) which is aimed at showing “How it is made”
• Project work made by student teams which intends to let students learn “How to make it”
Testi di riferimento
• BPMN v2.0 Examples document
• Supply Chain Operations Reference-model (SCOR)
• G. Motta A primer on BP
• PMI - Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK)
• Journal Articles
• Case studies
Modalità verifica apprendimento
Evaluation will be based on
• 1/3 the project work – the mark is given to the student team
• 1/3 the individual presentation of the team project
• 1/3 the individual oral or written exam on foundations