ING-IND/34 (INDUSTRIAL BIOENGINEERING)
DEPARTMENT OF ELECTRICAL,COMPUTER AND BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING
2nd semester (07/03/2022 - 17/06/2022)
83 lesson hours
Knowledge of the principles of
fluid mechanics (Physics) and the
differential equations at
At the end of the course the student will have acquired:
- fundamentals of fluid-dynamics;
- a basic knowledge of the circulatory system and physiology;
- operating principles of the life support systems commonly used in
clinical practice for hemodialysis and extra-body circulation;
- principles of modeling of the circulatory system is one-dimensional
that three-dimensional, with hints on computational tools;
- overview of heart valve prostheses.
Recalls of anatomy of the
Physiology and pathology of the
Principles of arterial waves;
Modeling and simulation of the circulatory system;
Reduced models of the cardiovascular system;
3D models and computational tools: introduction
3D models and computational tools: analysis set-up;
Creations of vascular models from medical images;
3D models and computational tools: applications;
Extra-corporeal circulation (ECMO);
Hemodialysis machines and circuits;
Biological and mechanical valve prostheses.
taught lessons also with the support of multimedia devices; practical exercises
and / or numerical in the classroom equipped with a computer
Reccomended or required readings
Course notes on Kiro platform.
- Nichols W, O'Rourke M, Vlachopoulos C, editors. McDonald's blood
flow in arteries: theoretical, experimental and clinical principles. CRC
press; 2011 Jul 29.
- Caro CG. The mechanics of the circulation. Cambridge University
- Kundu, P.K., Cohen, I.M.. Fluid Mechanics. Elsevier. In particolare il
capitolo “Introduction to Biofluid Mechanics”.
- Miller,G.E.. Artificial Organs. Morgan & Claypool.
The exam will be passed after a positive oral exam
concerning the contents of the course and the simultaneous discussion of a
project focused on the application of the acquired principles; there is also a computer test regarding the fluid dynamics simulation of a case study in the biomedical field.
Sustainable development goals - Agenda 2030