DEPARTMENT OF BIOLOGY AND BIOTECHNOLOGY "LAZZARO SPALLANZANI"
1st semester (01/10/2021 - 14/01/2022)
48 lesson hours
Knowledge of Developmental Biology
The objective of the course is to provide the theoretical bases and methodological knowledge related to the application of assisted reproduction techniques (ARTs) in the zootechnical and human fields. The course provides the student with a background on the structure, function and endocrine, cellular and molecular mechanisms that regulate the maturation of gametes, fertilization and embryonic development. On these biological bases a theoretical preparation will be developed on:
1) methodological approaches for the collection, evaluation of gametes, in vitro maturation and fertilization of the oocyte and cryopreservation of gametes and embryos.
2) Main molecular biology techniques applied to the analysis of pre-implantation gametes and embryos and pre-implantation diagnosis
3) Production in culture and application of stem cells.
Outline of gametogenesis and fertilization. The endocrine control of the spermatogenesis and oogenesis. Intrinsec and extrinsic causes of male and female infertility. Female and male genesis of the gamete, transference of gametes, fertilization therapies of induction and control of ovulation. Biotechnologies applied to reproduction. Assisted Reproductive Technologies (ARTs). Ethical and legal aspects in ARTs. Cloning. Techniques of cryopreservation of gametes and embryos. Derivation and differentiation of stem cells.Prenatal diagnosis (pre and post-treatment)
Frontal lessons held in the classroom. Practical lessons could be organized to better know some of the most used techniques in the field of Reproductive Biotechnology and their specific use.
Reccomended or required readings
- Biologia e Tecnologie della riproduzione umana.
R. Talevi-R. Gualieri
- Biotecnologie della Riproduzione Umana. L.Gandini e A. Lenzi; Carocci Faber.
Didactic material provided by the Professor
Oral exam. The exam includes a short presentation (a power point presentation of max 10 min) on a topic of the program chosen by the student and 2/3 questions chosen by the teacher
Sustainable development goals - Agenda 2030