ING-IND/34 (INDUSTRIAL BIOENGINEERING)
DEPARTMENT OF ELECTRICAL,COMPUTER AND BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING
Sensoristica e strumentazione biomedica
1st semester (27/09/2021 - 21/01/2022)
66 lesson hours
A knowledge of the fundamental concepts of the following teachings is preferable:
Mathematical Analysis, Physics, Biomechanics and Simulation of Biomedical Devices, Elements of Computational Mechanics.
During the course the student will acquire skills on the functioning of the main Additive Manufacturing technologies and on the entire prototyping process, from the creation of virtual models through CAD design, to the model post-processing for production (for anatomical prototyping, involving models segmented from medical images), to the generation of the code for production.
The student will also acquire skills on the mechanical behavior of materials made by means of Additive Manufacturing and on their mechanical characterization, with particular reference to FDM technology.
During the course, problems and advantages of Additive Manufacturing technologies will be also explored and the fundamentals of computer aided design for the production of advanced components will be introduced.
- Introduction to additive technologies.
- Focus on FDM technology and thermoplastic materials.
- Introduction to CAD, parts design, assembly, tolerances and dimensioning.
- Introduction to software for virtual models post-processing.
- Introduction to FDM and SLA slicing software and related parameters.
- Generation of machine codes for production.
- Introduction to constitutive models for FDM materials, mechanical characterization and reference standards, assisted design of advanced components.
- Introduction to the application of Additive Manufacturing for the production of anatomical models for clinical use.
- Laboratory with practical activities on FDM and SLA technologies.
The course will include lectures, exercise sessions on software, and practical laboratory activities on Additive Manufacturing technologies.
Reccomended or required readings
Slide and in-depth material provided by the teacher, available on Kiro website.
Some reference texts:
"Materiali per la stampa 3D: possibilità attuali e prospettive future", di F. Auricchio, S. Marconi, G. Alaimo, in Stampa 3D di C. Galli e A. Zama, FiLOdiritto Editore
"Additive Manufacturing Technologies" di I. Gibson, D. Rosen, B. Stucker, Springer Editore
The learning assessment will be based on an interview, including the discussion of the exercises assigned during the course.
Sustainable development goals - Agenda 2030