SECS-P/13 (COMMODITY STUDIES)
DEPARTMENT OF CIVIL ENGINEERING AND ARCHITECTURE
2nd semester (07/03/2022 - 17/06/2022)
23 lesson hours
Enrollment in Engineering Faculty degree courses.
Acquire the awareness of the environmental and social effects of the choices implemented during the design phase with regards to
- the raw materials used,
- the identified production cycles,
- the final use of the product,
- the product’s end of life and
- in last istance, the need for the final design object is the result of a choice between several predefined options.
- Methodological approaches
- Legislative aspects
- Products Life Cycle Assessment (LCA)
Some design areas:
- Territory: a delicate anthropic balance
- Packaging: plastic - polypropylene
- Artificial Intelligence: software
Slide lessons (hours per year in the classroom): 23
Exercises (hours per year in the classroom): 0
Practical activities (hours per year in the classroom): 0
Reccomended or required readings
Supporting documents provided by the teacher
Oral interview on the illustrated arguments.
It is possible to define in advance with the Teacher a topic to be dealt with in a specific thesis (consisting of no more than 20 slides) and to be discussed at the exam: the subject must only concern environmental and social aspects related to the design.
If the current constraints for exams are still in place, the thesis must be sent to the teacher of the course at least five days before the exam: for the verbal interview, it will be implemented what is currently indicated by our university.
The Code of Ethics for Engineers mentions in art. 19:
"The engineer, through carrying out its activity, seeks solutions to the problems posed to him, which are compatible with the principle of sustainable development, aiming at the maximum improvement of natural resources use, minimum land consumption and minimum waste of energy sources".
Sustainable development goals - Agenda 2030