ICAR/03 (ENVIRONMENTAL AND HEALTH ENGINEERING)
DEPARTMENT OF CIVIL ENGINEERING AND ARCHITECTURE
2nd semester (07/03/2022 - 17/06/2022)
25 lesson hours
Waste and wastewater treatment plant design. Waste treatment and contaminated sites remediation.
This course deals with the design and the management of waste treatment/disposal plant for energy recovery.
Municipal solid waste production and energy recovery situation in Europe and in Italy.
Regulatory aspects concerning energy recovery.
Influence of parameters on biochemical processes.
Biochemical processes with attached and suspended biomass, hybrid and multi-stage processes.
The use of pyrolysis/gasification products.
RECOVERY OF MATTER AND ENERGY FROM SEWAGE SLUDGE
Sludge management issues.
Main technologies for minimization of sludge production.
Recovery of matter and energy from sewage sludge.
Biogas production assessment from anaerobic digester.
Characteristics and use of biogas.
Thermal drying of sewage sludge: theoretical principles and design criteria.
Renewable energy sources: definition, regulatory aspects.
Biomass energy: definition, classification, legislation.
Environmental impact of biomass energy plants.
A visit to a waste recovery facility is scheduled.
Lectures (hours/year in lecture theatre): 21
Practical class (hours/year in lecture theatre): 5
Practicals / Workshops (hours/year in lecture theatre): 3
Reccomended or required readings
A copy of the course slides will be distributed.
De Fraja Frangipane E., Vismara R.. Recupero di materia ed energia da rifiuti solidi - Collana Ambiente Volume 19. Cipa Editore.
Bertanza Giorgio, Foladori Paola, Guglielmi Lorena (2018). Recupero di materia e di energia negli impianti di depurazione. Maggioli Editore - Ambiente & Territorio.
- modality: oral exam (unless otherwise specified due to the pandemic condition in place)
- evaluation parameters: ability to discursively organize knowledge; critical reasoning skills on the study carried out; quality of exposure, competence in the use of specialist vocabulary. The questions will focus on both the theory part and the exercise part with the request for numerical resolutions.
- the type of evaluation used: mark out of thirty
- number and types of tests that contribute to the final assessment: Final oral exam. There are no intermediate tests during the course.
- any materials useful for taking the test and allowed during it: calculator. Consultation of notes / texts is not allowed.
Experimental theses are available on the topics explained in the course. For further information, please contact the Professor via email.
Sustainable development goals - Agenda 2030