MAT/08 (NUMERICAL ANALYSIS)
DEPARTMENT OF CIVIL ENGINEERING AND ARCHITECTURE
CIVIL AND ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING
1st semester (27/09/2021 - 21/01/2022)
112 lesson hours
WRITTEN AND ORAL TEST
Students are required to be familiar with basic concepts of Linear Algebra, Analytic Geometry, and mathematical Analysis.
At the end of the course, students should be capable of applying the basic numerical methods for scientific computing, as well as skilled in programming in Matlab.
- Introduction to scientific computing
- Function zero finding
- Polynomial interpolation and least square methods
- Numerical quadrature
- Numerical linear algebra, eigenproblems, direct and iterative methods for linear systems
- Numerical methods for ordinary differential equations
1. Frontal lectures to illustrate the definition and properties of the numerical methods
2. Matlab sessions for the implementation of the numerical methods
Reccomended or required readings
Quarteroni, Alfio, Saleri, F., Gervasio, Paola, "Calcolo Scientifico, Esercizi e problemi risolti con MATLAB e Octave", Springer, 2016
Final written exam; compulsory oral examination if the evaluation of the written part is lower than 24 (and greater than 18), otherwise the oral exam is up to the student.
Sustainable development goals - Agenda 2030