ICAR/03 (ENVIRONMENTAL AND HEALTH ENGINEERING)
DEPARTMENT OF CIVIL ENGINEERING AND ARCHITECTURE
CIVIL AND ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING
Ingegneria per l'ambiente e il territorio
2nd semester (07/03/2022 - 17/06/2022)
56 lesson hours
WRITTEN AND ORAL TEST
Chemistry. Fundamentals Of Sanitary-Environmental Engineering
At the end of the course students will have acquired the knowledge related to main technologies and fields of application for: wastewater treatment, drinking water treatment, recovery/disposal of solid waste; students will also be able to perform the design of these plants (wastewater and drinking water treatment plants, waste treatment plants).
Characteristics of wastewater.
Pre-treatment of urban wastewater (screening, grit and oil removal, ...).
Primary settling (technologies and design criteria).
Biological treatments: conventional activated sludge process (hydrodynamic models and management issues).
Treatments for nutrient removal (plant schemes and fields of application).
Secondary settling (sedimentation theory and design criteria).
Effluent disinfection (design and choosing).
Start-up procedures for activated sludge processes.
Preparation of ad hoc monitoring protocols and management data processing criteria.
Treatment of sewage sludge (technologies and design criteria).
Regulation and legislation.
Laboratory tests: Sludge Volume Index (SVI), respirometric tests, foaming tests, ...
Technical tour to a wastewater treatment plant.
DRINKING WATER TREATMENT
Overview on drinking water.
Drinking water treatments: conventional processes.
Plant schemes for the treatment of groundwater and surface water.
Design of drinking water treatment plant.
Laboratory tests: jar tests, Freundlich adsorption isotherm, .
MUNICIPAL WASTE TREATMENT
Regulatory aspects in solid waste classification and management.
Conventional and separate collection of municipal solid waste.
Solid waste incineration (kilns, gaseous emission characteristics, gas cleaning technologies).
Sanitary landfill (classification, design and management criteria).
Design of a mass burning kiln for municipal solid waste incineration.
Lectures (hours/year in lecture theatre): 40
Practical class (hours/year in lecture theatre): 8
Practicals / Workshops (hours/year in lecture theatre): 5
Reccomended or required readings
A copy of the course slides will be distributed.
Collivignarelli Carlo, Bertanza Giorgio. Ingegneria Sanitaria-Ambientale. Città Studi Edizioni.
Collivignarelli Carlo, Sorlini Sabrina. Potabilizzazione delle acque - Processi e tecnologie. Dario Flaccovio Editore.
- modality: written test followed by oral test (unless otherwise specified due to the pandemic condition in progress)
- evaluation parameters: ability to discursively organize knowledge; critical reasoning skills on the study carried out; quality of exposure, competence in the use of specialist vocabulary. The questions will focus on both the theory part and the exercise part with the request for numerical resolutions.
- the type of evaluation used: mark out of thirty
- number and types of tests that contribute to the final assessment: final exam (written + oral). Access to the oral exam is allowed upon passing the written exam (with at least 18/30). There are no intermediate tests during the course.
- any materials useful for taking the test and allowed during it: calculator. Consultation of notes / texts is not allowed.
Experimental theses are available on the topics explained in the course. For further information, please contact the Professor via email.
Sustainable development goals - Agenda 2030