ICAR/09 (CONSTRUCTION TECHNIQUES)
DEPARTMENT OF CIVIL ENGINEERING AND ARCHITECTURE
BUILDING ENGINEERING AND ARCHITECTURE
1st semester (27/09/2021 - 21/01/2022)
45 lesson hours
Knowledge of basic elements of theory and design of the constructions courses is required.
The course intends to deepen some topics already introduced in the previous structural design design course, and to address others of main relevance for understanding the mechanical response of reinforced concrete structures. The main objectives are:
• understand the mechanical behavior of reinforced concrete structures and their components at the SLS and ULS;
• Acquire the ability to design the main structural elements subjected to normal, shear and torsion actions, single or combined each other;
• Understand the link between the design procedures inspired by the concepts learned in previous courses and the codes and practical limits (National and European codes of practice)
• Use of reinforced concrete in civil, industrial and infrastructural structures;
• Main construction techniques based on the use of reinforced concrete;
• Structural layout of the main construction types (buildings and bridges) and description of the structural elements used;
• Mechanical properties of materials and experimental tests: normal and high-strength concretes, steel;
• Ductility of sections and structural elements, moment-curvature diagram; main aspects in the ductility of the sections (role of reinforcements and axial load);
• Methods of analysis: linear elastic with and without moment redistribution, analysis with Strut & Tie models (limit analysis);
• Design and verification of elements subjected to normal, shear and torsion actions. Seviciability limit states (cracking, deformation, etc.) and ultimate limit states (collapse with and without equilibrium instability);
• Arrangement of longitudinal and transverse reinforcements within structural elements;
• Two-dimensional structures: dimensioning of reinforced concrete plates, punching of floors;
Lectures focused on the description of structural typologies, materials used and characterization tests;
Lectures on the analysis and design of one- and two-dimensional elements subjected to normal, shear and torsional actions
Exercises related to the aspects of calculation and design of one-dimensional elements
Laboratory lessons aimed at a better learning of the behavior of materials;
Reccomended or required readings
Notes, scientific papers and other didactic material will be distributed during classes
Cosenza E., Manfredi G., Pecce M.. Strutture in cemento armato – Basi della progettazione . Ed. Hoepli, 2008.
Aicap. Guida all’uso dell’Eurocodice 2 con riferimento alle Norme Tecniche D.M. 14.01.2008 . Ed. Pubblicemento, 2008.
Eurocodice 2 - Progettazione delle strutture in calcestruzzo. UNI - Ente nazionale di unificazione.
Written exam related to the design of a simple reinforced concrete structure
Oral exam focused on the verification of the learning of theoretical and practical aspects
Access to oral exam is subjected to passing the written exam
Sustainable development goals - Agenda 2030